Thursday, December 12, 2013

Metin Özbaskıcı Association of Cooperation of Yavuz Selim Neighbourhood (1) 01/11/2010

We want to have an association. Sometimes, hat was passed in the neighbourhood for recidents whose relatives died or who have a patient in their family.Tales were being carried about people passing hat and this situation used to make them feel uncomfortable. It was also common for many people to blow off passing hat in fear that gossips. When we were together Yusuf said: "Lets found a cooperation association. We could pass hat over association. It would be a formal way to pass hat. Since therefore everybould could trust and help. We could also help people systematically. No tales will be carried about anyone. People being helped won't be hurt that way. I could make what it's needed for foundation of our association."


Yusuf, me, Koçali, Kıvırcık, Faruk, Ali, Turgay, Erdal, Çetom, Ramazan, Necati... We were a group of friend being of the same opinion. Our support was already enough to found an association. We were accountable our neighbourhood to do something. We had to introduce our neighbourhood and our residents to all people living in Samsun. We decided to found the association.

We started to discuss about what could we do after foundation process of the association. It would be nice to reimburse of healing and medicine of poor patients and sending some kindnesses to funeral homes. We were knewing that happiness increase as you share it with the other and pains decrease as you share it with the others. We thought that this work would step up friendship in the neighbourhood. We made our first budget with money we collected among us.

Our association participated the Football Tournament organized by City Reprenstators of Football. Supports of our audiences with playing drums were center of attention. People from different regions were coming to our matches. Match between us and the team of doctors had a different meaning for us. Our mail goal was to know them and to be friend with them. At the end we had good relationships with doctors. We also participated all matches of the doctors as audiences with our slums. Yusuf also had good relationships with doctors. He was working as a shoe shiner in front of the Hospital. We also keep our relationships with the doctors after the tournament thanks to Yusuf. We started to buy medicine for poor patients living in our neighbourhood with the help of our doctor friends.

We were visiting all houses having a funeral with pochettes of tea and sugar and sharing their pains. It was a tradition in our neighbourhood to wait in the houses having a funeral for sharing pains of houseowners. We were also visiting patients and trying to fullfill their needs. We were happy with the idea of friends have to be in solidarity.

That day, we went to sister Mariya for visit of patients with pochettes in our hands. His only son seven aged was suffering from a disease for a long time. Osteoid cancer... There were wounds all around his body because of the illness. His father, his mother and his sisters were dying with him while he was writhing in pain. I was really bad when we existed from the house. I couldn't sleep for almost ten days. I said Yusuf -Don't take me with you to visit of patients just like that one. I am overcomed by the situation. It's nice for you, you are not effected... -Look, Metin, he said. -Do you know why i am trying to help all patienst, he asked and started to explain.

"We were one of the 5 family who came to Yavuz Selim Neighbourhood from the Shantytown. I left the school after the third class. My mother sickened in six months. My father took her away to public hospital. My father brought her medicines without understanding what doctor said about my mothers illness. My mother was patient for 2-3 months. She used same medicines. Then, she died. There were nobody to help us! There were nobody to guide us. Nobody knew a better hospital than the public one. Pain of losing mother is bad. Being unable to do anything for saving her is worse than everything. I started to work as a shoe shiner in front of the Hospital. I was trying to know doctors there... I was speaking with them while i shine their shoes. They liked to be asked by a child 12 aged and they answered my questions without getting bored. They liked me and started to ask about my life. I told them about my mother. When they said "if only we could examine her!", a storm was to be breaking with in my heart. I wish, i wish to know you at that time... There were too many doctors. Sometimes i don't want any money from them to shine their shoes. They liked this. I worked there for a long. I saved my relations with doctors always to help other poor patients like my mother. This is the reason why i am trying to help all patients. I feel my mother is seeing me and feel herself happy when i help patients."

Though real name of him is Selahattin, everybody call him as Yusuf! I always call him as the president after the memories he shared with me. He is small and short, thin, green eyed, darkskinned. He is married and have four child, six grandchild. He worked in different jobs. He selled lottery tickets after working as shoeshiner. Then he worked as refuse collector in Canik Municipality. He worked in Samsun Copper Factory. He will retired at 2011 February. He is a real friend and a kind man. He always forces us to do something for our people. He has always been our president.

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment